- Born in Wakayama, Japan, on May 10, 1971.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering science in 1994 from Osaka University.
- Master's degree in engineering science in 1996 from Osaka University.
- Joined NTT Access Network Systems Laboratories in 1996.
- Ph.D. in engineering science in 2002 from Osaka University.
- Moved to NTT Basic Research Laboratories in 2003.
- Visiting scholar at E. L. Ginzton Laboratory, Stanford University (Aug. 2004-Mar. 2005, March-May, September-November 2006).
- Distinguished Scientist, NTT Basic Research Labs. (from April 2013 to March 2017)
- Visiting researcher et National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Boulder (Sep.-Nov. 2014).
- Guest Professor, Graduate School of Engineering Science, Osaka University (from April 2017).
- Senior Distinguished Scientist, NTT Basic Research Labs. (from April 2017).
- National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT) of Japan, "Research on quantum communication technologies using entangled photons," a member of NTT Team (December 2003-March 2006)
- CREST, Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST), "Quantum communication experiments using time-bin entangled photons," NTT Team Leader (October 2005-March 2010)
- National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT) of Japan,"Research and development for realizing practical quantum cryptography systems," a member of NTT Team (October 2006-March 2011)
- Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (KAKENHI), Scientific Research (B), "Research on photonic quanutm circuits based on silicon photonics technologies," Team Leader (April 2010-March 2013)
- Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (KAKENHI), Scientific Research (B), "Development of single-photon detector using MgB2 nanowire," Team member (April 2010-March 2013)
- Impulsing Paradigm Change through Disruptive Technologies (ImPACT) Program of Council of Science, Technology and Innovation (Cabinet Office, Government of Japan),
"Advanced information society infrastructure linking quantum artificial brains in quantum network,"
Project "Coherent Ising machine based on large scale time-division-multiplexed optical parametric oscillators," Principle Investigator (October 2014-).
Services on professional committees
- Program committee member, Annual Meetings of The Japan Society of Applied Physics (January 2007-December 2009).
- Program committee member, LEOS Annual Meeting Program Committee (2009-2011).
- Committee member, Special Symposium on Quantum Photonics, IEEE Photonics Conference 2012.
- Committee member, CLEO Quantum Science, Engineering and Technology Subcommittee (2013-2016)
- Primary Guest Editor of the special issue on Quantum Communication and Cryptography in IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics (May/June 2015 issue).
- Editorial Board Member, Scientific Reports (NPG) (2014-)
- Program commitee member, 5th International Conference on Quantum Cryptography (QCrypt 2015, 2017).
- Advisory Board Member, Advanced Quantum Technologies (QUTE), Wiley (2017.10-).
- NTT Information Sharing Laboratory Group Director Award (2002).
- NTT Basic Research Laboratories Director Award (2004, 2006, 2010, 2012, 2017).
- NTT Science and Core Technology Laboratory Group Director Award (2005, 2008).
- ITU-T Kaleidoscope Academic Conference: Innovations in NGN - Future Network and Services, Best Paper Award, second place (2008).
- The Commendation for Science and Technology by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology: The Young Scientistsf Prize (2010)
- NTT President Award (2016).
Swimming, music and playing bass (electric and acoustic).